Get to Know Sanyam Goel
Sanyam is an undergraduate student in Information Technology at Bharati Vdyapeeth’s College of Engineering (BVCOE), New Delhi, and is the Vice Chair of the IEEE Student Branch of the BVCOE, Chair & founding member of the IEEE Computer Society Student Chapter at the university, and Event Coordinator for Fervour 9.0 and the Bharati Vdyapeeth IEEE Annual Technical and Managerial Fest 2016. In 2017, he received the Outstanding Student Volunteer Award from the IEEE Delhi Section. He won first prize in the Software Hackathon organized by the BVCOE Tech Fest 2016, second prize at the Netaji Subhas Insititute of Technology Software Hackathon and third prize at the competitive coding competition in BVEST, Annual Tech Fest at BVCOE. In the Fall of 2017 he added Richard E. Merwin Student Scholarship recipient to his long list of accomplishments.
How did you first get interested in computer science/engineering?
I was first introduced to computer science and engineering at my school, when I startted working on robotics and programming. I was the head of the Robotics and Programming club at my school and participated in various inter-school competitions.
Where do you go to college? What are you majoring in?
I’m a senior majoring in Information and Technology from Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Engineering, New Delhi, India which is affiliated with Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
What job would you like upon graduation?
I’m looking for a job in software development in the field of research and development.
What would be your dream job once you’ve established yourself in the industry?
My dream job is to become a successful software developer. I would love to work on projects which can be used easily and have a direct impact on people’s lives.
One of the roles with winning Richard E. Merwin Student Scholarship is to serve as a Computer Society Student Ambassador for your IEEE section. How are you implementing your vision into the Computer Society?
I have initiated various tasks such as:
- Special Interest Groups for different topics such as embedded systems, robotics, competitive programming, machine learning, artificial intelligence, etc. where student members not only learn from fellow students, but also team up to work together on different ideas and projects for their self-development.
- Research groups that can cater to seniors looking for proper mentoring on specific topics. Being an ambassador, I will contact the young professionals and senior members who are interested in guiding student members to come on board for the research groups, and students can connect with people sharing similar interests, helping them with their work by getting expert advice and/or industry exposure.
- Organizing regular hackathons, discussion sessions, industry talks and visits, webinars and competitions can keep students involved. Collaborating with different industries and academia can help sections and student branch chapters in raising funds and providing industry exposure to their student members.
What made you join IEEE Computer Society?
IEEE Computer Society provides the technical community with access to practical resources, cutting-edge research, and the opportunity to network with peers from around the world. The Computer Society now offers four professional membership categories and one student category that let you tailor your membership to fit your career. The Computer Society provides a pool of opportunities and benefits to its members.
Here are few benefits of joining IEEE Computer Society:
- Computer Magazine, ComputingEdge subscriptions
- Computer Society Digital Library (CSDL)
- Webinars that feature leading experts on the hottest topics
- Books 24×7 on-demand access to 15,000+ technical and business resources
- Scholarships and awards like the Richard E.Merwin Scholarship, Lance Stafford Larson Paper Contest, and Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society.
- Information, tools and resources like Skillsoft SkillChoice™ Complete, Books 24×7 etc.
- IEEE Spectrum magazine, the flagship publication of IEEE
- Deep discounts on conference registrations and many more benefits in the list.